Portland win 4-2 on penalties – FA Vase 1st Round Proper – Report by Torpoint’s Robbie Morris –

Torpoint Athletics’ road to Wembley came to an end on Saturday afternoon at the hands of Portland United following a goalless ninety minutes where both sides battled hard to find the back of the net in an entertaining match.

The match was only ten minutes old when Torpoint’ s Ryan Richards got the ball from good build up play in the midfield, he turned on the edge of the area to fire his effort at goal, but Portland’s’ Harrison Bruton put the ball around the post with a fine save.

Five minutes later Jack Wood for the hosts fired his effort from 25 yards which went over the cross bar.

On the seventeenth minute, Ryan McKechnie’s cross come shot far out on the left was well saved by home keeper Ryan Rickard.

A minute later, a free kick out far to the left by Joe Wickham found Greg Borthwick head the ball towards goal, but the hosts Sam Hillson was on the goal line to make a great clearance.

On the 20th minute, Ryan Richards for the hosts broke free of the Portland’s defence to hit a 25 yards effort, well saved by Bruton, then a couple of minutes later Darren Hicks put a cross into the area to find Jack Wood to see his header go inches over the crossbar from 12 yards.

Just before the half hour mark, Ryan McKechnie had a free kick from 30 yards out, he hit the ball like a bullet, but his effort rattled the crossbar.

Portland United started to come into the game more, gaining more possession of the ball and five minutes later, with some good build up play, found Joe Wickham whose effort was well saved by Ryan Rickard. A minute later, a corner saw Borthwick’s header cleared off the line by Darren Hicks.

Seven minutes into the second half, Callum Martindale (On his debut for the hosts) whips a corner into the area, to find a goal mouth scramble, with Ryan Richards, Sean Thomson and Darren Hicks all having a shot, but the ball is cleared off the line by a United defender.

Just before the hour mark, Sam Hillson for Torpoint whips in a cross to Ryan Richards to see his header just go over the crossbar.

On the 75th minute, Portland United put a cross into the area to find Ben Morris whose headed effort from 15 yards was saved by Rickard.

Three minutes later, a goal mouth scramble by the hosts saw Thomson, Richards and Elliot Crawford all trying to find a way through to goal.

With five minutes remaining, the hosts Ryan Richards and Ryan Smith go close when the ball flashes in front of them after a Martindale corner. Then a minute later Owen Haslam puts the ball through to Hicks to curl his effort just wide of the near post from 18 yards.

With score level after normal time, it went to the dreaded penalty shootout. Torpoint put the first penalty home from Darren Hicks, then Jamie Symes for Portland United fires his penalty home. Ryan Richards for the hosts had his penalty saved when he goes to the right.

Josh Williams for Portland United coolly slots his penalty home. Crawford slots his home to give the hosts hope, but Portland’s Jack Delves slots his home to make it 3-2 to the visitors.

To keep Torpoint in it, up steps Louis Rooney, but he skies his effort over the goal and then Portland’s Greg Borthwick converts his penalty to put Portland United through to the second round, 4-2 on penalties.

Attendance: 141

Torpoint Athletic: R. Rickard, J. Richards, C. Martindale, J. Rundle, S. Hillson, E. Crawford, D. Hicks, J. Wood (R. Smith 26), S. Thomson (L. Rooney 79), R. Richards, O. Haslam.
Subs not used: M. Lucas, J. Pope, J. Dixon.
Bookings: O. Haslam 86.

MOM: Jason Richards (Torpint Athletic)

Portland United: H. Bruton, M. Harvey, C. Callow, H. Scott (J. Delves 60), S. Bessant, J. Wickham (A. Woolford 60), J. Williams, G. Borthwick, R. McKecie (S. Gadsby 80), B. Morris.
Subs not used: G. Stuttle, J. Coombes, J. Lucas.
Sin Bin: S. Bessant 79
Bookings: S. Bessant 68
Referee: Steve McCullock (Liskeard)

MOM: Harrison Bruton (Portland United)